Boca Raton plastic surgeon Scott T. Farber believes aging is all about living with vitality, as 70% of how well you age is a result of how you live. The aging process is a reflection of changes that result from environmental and genetic factors, which you are subject to over the course of time. Reversing the aging process involves the combination of good genes, healthy diet, regular exercise and low stress, helping you live longer and better and allowing the body to repair naturally. Excess stress can be harmful to your body, so you should try to relax as much as possible. Laughter and optimism can also be powerful allies when it comes to increasing longevity.
By taking positive steps to make your golden years more enjoyable, you may add as much as a decade to your life. A study from Yale University showed that people who had a positive attitude about growing old lived seven years longer than those who complained about getting older. You should look at the future as a new opportunity, keeping guilt and regrets as part of the past. To help slow down and reverse the aging process and increase longevity, be sure to get sufficient sleep to help your body relax, combine exercise with a lively lifestyle and monitor your weight. Cut down on saturated fat as losing excess weight puts less strain on your body.
ANTI-AGING SUPPLEMENTS FOR INCREASED LONGEVITY
Your body needs vitamins and minerals to provide its daily functions, which range from converting the food into energy to carrying the oxygen into the blood stream. With today’s environmental factors, it is almost impossible to get all the necessary minerals, vitamins and nutrients that the body needs on a daily basis. As you age, these nutritional deficiencies can affect the quality of life and accelerate the aging process. It is best to take pharmaceutical-grade supplements, as opposed to those sold over the counter, which often require the consumer to take higher dosages. The standards and procedures that are required for manufacturing the pharmaceutical-grade supplements are more stringent and are tested for purity. While anti-aging supplements cannot stop the aging process, they can slow it down and keep you healthy and younger-looking. You should consult with your doctor before taking any anti-aging vitamins and supplements.
Healthy aging supplements that minimize the negative effects of aging include:
- Vitamin A is an antioxidant that helps neutralize damaging effects of oxidation, causing age related degeneration and disease. Topical anti-wrinkle creams, like Retinol, reduce fine facial lines and dark circles under the eyes.
- Vitamin B3 makes skin look healthier, raises your good cholesterol level, and lowers fats in the blood that contribute to the overall cholesterol count, decreases the risk and rate of arthrosclerosis and helps convert food into energy.
- Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that is used for firmer, more youthful skin, has cancer preventive qualities, decreases risk of cardiovascular disease and delays or prevents the occurrence of cataracts and macular degeneration.
- Vitamin E improves the immune system and decreases the risk of stroke and heart attack.
- Vitamin K helps to break up blood clots that form dark circles around the eyes.
During the wound healing process, your body needs extra nutrients as it repairs and replaces tissues. Your body will need adequate amounts of vitamins to help the wound through the phases of inflammation, regrowth of tissue and tissue remodeling. Vitamins that contribute to the wound healing process are: Vitamins A, B1, B6, C and Vitamin E, which can be used as a topical treatment to speed up tissue regeneration in wounds and improve the appearance of scars and burns.
HEALTHY DIET SLOWS DOWN THE AGING PROCESS
A healthy diet can make you feel and look young and can help slow down the aging process, thus adding more longevity and vitality in your life. Eating foods such as vegetables, fruits, nuts, fish and whole grains protects against many chronic conditions, which can shorten your life. These foods can help keep your blood vessels in shape and help preserve memory, in protecting against Alzheimer’s. Some foods also help protect vision and hearing.
The top anti-aging foods are:
- Avocados help decrease bad cholesterol level and are a good source of Vitamin E.
- Berries are antioxidants.
- Cruciferous vegetables assist the body in fighting toxins and cancer. They include cabbage, kale, cauliflower, broccoli, brussel sprouts, radish and watercress.
- Garlic helps to protect the body against cancer and heart disease.
- Nuts are a good source of minerals and can enhance digestive and immune systems.
- Soya may alleviate menopausal hot flashes, protect against Alzheimers, heart disease and osteoporosis.
- Whole meal pasta and rice increases fiber and iron and provides a consistent source of energy.
- Watermelon contains vitamins A, B, C and E and helps against free radical damage and aging.
- Water helps to get rid of toxins and unwanted waste materials from your body.
- Ginger can boost the digestive and circulatory systems.
A good healthy diet will limit the total amount of fat that you eat in both meat and dairy products in order to avoid clogging arteries. A healthy balanced diet will also limit the amount of sugar you absorb and reduce your salt intake, which can raise your blood pressure. In addition to a healthy diet, regular exercise and anti-aging vitamins and supplements, you can also look and feel younger by experiencing a face lift procedure or having a treatment for facial wrinkles such as a Botox injection. These cosmetic surgery procedures can be performed by a Board-certified plastic surgeon like Dr. Scott Farber, MD. Ultimately, we all want to look as young as we feel, and one way to look young is to live a younger lifestyle.Back to Blog